When I started pondering the idea of lembas bread I came up with two different approaches, rather than trying to decide on just one I am going to be making both of them. This is obviously the first one hehe. This one is inspired by the game. In the game Lembas is made from barley flour, fresh cream, and clover honey. To me this sounds more like a bread style of loaf as opposed to what they show in the movie which was more like a shortbread cookie. I’m going to tackle that shortbread another time, I have ideas. So this is more of a bread style of lembas. Not being able to find any of the banana or tea leaves I would have loved to wrap these in I used corn husks instead. They made such cute packages!
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup fat free plain yogurt (this is my cream substitute)
- 3 tbl brown sugar
- 3 tbl clover honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lemon flavoured water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbl baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the yogurt, sugar, honey, vanilla and water gradually and combine until a ball of dough forms.
- Divide the dough into 10 balls.
- Flatten each ball to about 1/2″ thickness and a rounded rectangular shape. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-17 minutes, they should be lightly golden. Wrap in leaves of choice and serve!
Makes 10 servings. Each serving contains 155 calories, 0.4 grams of fat, and 0.9 grams of fiber. This makes a lembas that is like a slightly sweet bread. This would be delicious with all sorts of berries picked from the woods as I imagine elves would want to liven it up…and maybe not tell the mortals that its more fun than eating it plain. Silly mortals, lembas is for elves!