My first weekend at yoga teacher training was a crazy one but a great one! I met a whole bunch of awesome new people AND I worked a couple of really tasty recipes on the side. Epic win! I made this mostly in the crockpot while I was away at training, so it’s perfect for you other busy hobbits out there. In LOTRO leek stock is made with leeks, water and shire taters. I love the smell of this stock, it certainly picked up my spirit when I walked in the door. Look at all those beautiful leeks!
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbl butter
- 3 medium leeks, thinly sliced, white/light coloured parts only
- 4 small potatoes, cubed
- 5 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Heat a pan to medium high. Add the butter, swirling it around to coat the pan.
- Add garlic and onion. Cook until onions begin to caramelize.
- Add the leeks, cook for about 1 or two minutes. Stirring constantly.
- Pour into a crockpot.
- Add the potatoes and water. Heat the crockpot for 8 hours on low. You can do this faster by just adding the ingredients to a stock pot and heating over the stove for 30-45 minutes on medium high. Make sure the potatoes are tender before serving.
Makes 5 super generous servings. Each serving contains 180 calories, 4.9 grams fat, 32 grams carbs, 4 grams fibre, and 3.7 grams protein. This is a great soup base! A great departure from the same old veggie soup base that most vegetarians can get stuck with. You can use lighter butter substitutes for this soup but I found that full fat butter really helped those leeks along flavour wise.