Sometimes you just plain need a comfort food…no need for it to completely derail my efforts though. I enjoy making this ahead on those rainy days so that we can lose ourselves in the gaming and then pop it in the oven to finish when we become hungry. This is also a hardcore hobbit recipe! Sausages and mash in the game are made with taters and pork sausage. My husband’s tummy doesn’t do well with pork sausage so we went with beef.
- 1 lb Extra Lean Beef or Turkey Sausage
- 1 Onion sliced or chopped to preference
- 2 cups low fat gravy
- Low Fat Mashed Potatoes made from 4 potatoes
- 2 tbl parmesan cheese
- Cook the sausages in a skillet over medium heat. Usually no more than 10 minutes, make sure you flip them halfway through. Remove and set aside in a 9X9 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Cook the onions in the skillet with a bit of water until they reach desired doneness. I like them to caramelize a little bit.
- Slice the sausages into bite sized pieces. Top with the cooked onions and the gravy.
- You can either mix the parmesan in with the mashed potatoes or leave them as a topping, either way has proven tasty.
- Top the filling with the mashed potatoes. If desired top the potatoes with a sprinkling of seasoning salt.
- Keep in fridge until ready to bake. Once ready cook at 350F for 30 minutes.
Serves 4, 580 calories per serving.
I will make sure to post my recipes for low fat gravy and low fat mashed potatoes later in the week. They really don’t take much time at all and I find them much tastier than store bought. I figured though if you have a brand you like posting this bare bones recipe would make using that brand much easier. I’m a homemade when I can kind of girl myself though.