I knew today was going to be a long day with work and the gym so once again time to bring out ye old crockpot again. It is so wonderful to know you are coming home to a tasty healthy meal instead of blowing my efforts on fast food. Friends don’t let friends eat fast food right?
Hardcore Hobbit edit: In the game there is a mushroom chicken soup. It calls for chicken stock, mushrooms and green onions. To make this a hardcore hobbit triumph maybe this soup should be garnished with green onions at the end? I definitely think it would make a tasty soup even tastier. Hehe this one even has the mastery option of parsley. Crit!!
- 2 tsp butter
- 300 grams or more crimini mushrooms, puree
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth (works great with my turkey broth posted earlier in my blog too)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp italian spice mix
- 1 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken breast (Leftovers, or just toss a couple of breasts in the oven with some seasoning on them till cooked)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbs freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Melt the butter at the bottom of the crockpot on low. Stir in the carrots, saute for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, broth, water, barley, salt, pepper, and italian spice. Allow to cook for 5-6 hours, more won’t really hurt it if needed.
- 30 minutes before serving add the chicken, parsley, and cheese. Allow to heat through. It’s good to take this time to make a nice salad or garlic bread to go with this soup.
Makes four hearty servings of approx 2.5 cups each. Nutritionals: 282 calories, 5.7 g fat, 6.8 g fiber. Warning this is one filling soup! Be light on those side dishes or you just plain won’t finish it all.