A part of my hardcore hobbit process. In game the Beef stew is made with a hearty stock and a cut of beef…I can easily say I take mine a bit further. This is a bit of an indulgence dish but still won’t bust your day. Filling and comforting. I love to prepare this in the morning and let it slow cook all day long. I once prepared a huge amount of stew based on my recipe but with tofu instead of beef and veggie broth instead of beef broth. Even a strict meat lover (he pushes any sort of green garnish away) enjoyed it so much he ate seconds…we are convinced this is either a sign of the apocalypse or a good stew.
- 1 lb of steak ends or stewing beef
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, smooshed and minced
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbl flour
- 1/8 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the beef into nice bite sized cubes. Toss the cubes in a mixture of flour, paprika, and salt and pepper.
- Spray your pan, heat to medium. Cook the coated meat in the pan for just a couple of minutes to sear it and place in the crockpot. Put the garlic and onions into the pan and cook them until softened or carmelized, your choice.
- Use the wine to deglaze the pan and pour into crockpot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serves four. 434 calories, 9 grams of fat, 6 grams of fiber per serving. Great served with a couple of biscuits.
Now I must run off and find some candles and such for our earth hour which we are actually making into earth night. It all gets turned off over here in just a couple of hours for the whole night!