Alright time to take a break from all that dim sum and get some veggies in! This is another one of my hardcore hobbit project recipes. In the game the carrot soup calls for carrots and pork broth. Well in an effort to make things lighter I went with chicken broth instead. I’m sure the hobbits will forgive me. This is a tasty, quick, and easy soup to whip up for lunch. So simple and has approximately three servings of veggie in it. Can’t go wrong there.
- 3 carrots, chopped, 1 inch pieces
- 1 tsp ginger (add more if you want more kick)
- 1 cup chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbl basil
- garlic (optional for more kick)
- pinch of sea salt
- ground pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients into a pot. Heat on high until you reach boiling. Lower to medium and allow the carrots to simmer until they are fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth or blend in batches in a blender.
- For super easy version: Place ingredients in a 4 cup measuring cup. Heat in the microwave 2 minutes at a time until carrots are fork tender. Blender in batches. Serve.
I wasn’t kidding when I said easy. With added ginger this soup has a really nice kick to it. Paired with a nice bread this is a tasty lunch. This recipe makes one hearty serving, it multiplies well for more. Each serving contains 90 calories, 0.6 grams of fat, and 5.3 grams of fiber. I ate this soup hours ago with a couple of my potato buns and I’m still not hungry. I suggest adding a bit of curry powder and garam masala to make it a curried ginger carrot soup, it is excellent! Play with the herbs, this soup is great for experimenting. Use veggie stock to make it vegetarian.