It’s still strawberry season! Definitely that time to indulge in some strawberry tastiness. Not my most miraculous transformation but a tasty one that is far less in calories and fat than most other stuffed french toast I come in contact with. Definitely a delicious way to spend a brunch. This recipe is easy to double if you find yourself entertaining. I find when I eat this I can skip the syrup and just go with the filling and berries. Num!
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 2 tbl fat free cream cheese
- 2 tsp brown sugar, unpacked
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 servings egg white substitute
- 2 tbl cool whip
- Combine the cream cheese and brown sugar. Puree a couple of the strawberries and add the cream cheese mixture.
- Heat a pan to medium and spray.
- Dip the bread slices in the egg whites and add to the pan. Add a portion of the cream cheese mixture to the center of two of the bread slices. Top with the remaining dipped whole wheat slices. Allow to cook until underside is browned and cooked, gently flip and press down as if it was a grilled cheese sandwich. Not too hard though! You want the sandwich to have some lift.
- Once cooked serve topped with the remaining strawberries and a tablespoon of cool whip on top of each.
My husband went a step further and added a squirt of sugar free chocolate syrup to ours. Very delicious. He also used a different cooking method. So that he could achieve his level of plating happiness he made each french toast the traditional way…which is separately and then assembled them as if they were a sandwich. Since he made such small slices of bread he also used three rather than the usual two. The plating force is strong with that one. This recipe serves two, each serving is 293 calories, 6.7 grams of fat, and 5.8 grams of fiber. Definitely another tasty way to start the day.