A little hardcore hobbit project action today. In the game the stew of kings is made out of chicken stock, tater, and uncooked chicken. So basically this is a chicken stew. A tasty one at that! A nice lighter stew alternative to the beef stew. Eventhough our crockpot of awesome is out of commission I was able to pick up a small crockpot to get this done. It will do until I find a nice 8 quart or higher one on sale. I like my crockpots extra doom sized. The small one will then be in charge of doing up some nice dips and fondue in the fall I think. Anyways, on to the stew of kings!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large shalot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 red potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 pinch herbs de provence
- 1 tsp flour
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper, brown in a skillet 2-3 minutes per side. Allow to rest 5 minutes, slice into cubes and place in crockpot.
- Add shalot to the skillet and allow to brown.
- Add wine to the skillet to deglaze and pour everything into the crockpot.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in crockpot, give it a stir.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. Depends on your crock.
Serves 4 (about 1 1/2 cup each). Each serving contains 391 calories, 1.9 grams of fat and 6.9 grams of fiber. A nice filling meal. Lovely served with some bread or scone to catch that bit of gravy the dish makes. Nummy!