I had fun with this hardcore hobbit attempt. In the game shire rations are made of marinated chicken cutlet, apple, and sharp cheese. The marinated chicken cutlet is made of chicken, green onion, and fine seasonings. This is really a double hardcore in one…and that sounds nasty hehe. Now I could see a hobbit being happy with just marinated chicken, some cut up apples and cheese BUT I think they would be much happier with my changes. I kept all the main ingredients like I usually do but changed it up. I approached this like an episode of ‘chopped’, on chopped just cutting up the ingredients and putting them on the plate just won’t fly…well they won’t here either. I fancied up the shire rations by making the apple portion an apple slaw, and the cheese portion a nice cheese sauce for the chicken. I served them on our camping plates though just to make them more ration like hehe. I think the hobbits would be pleased and would never leave their hole without these shire rations.
- 2 royal gala apples, sliced into matchsticks
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 4 tbl fat free plain yogurt
- 2 tbl honey
- Combine, chill for 20 minutes and serve.
Marinated Chicken Cutlet:
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 tbl steakhouse pepper spice
- Combine and marinate for atleast 4 hours.
- Grill the chicken until cooked using desired method.
Sharp Cheese Sauce:
- 64 grams of light cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbl flour
- 2 tsp light cooking margarine
- 2 tbl parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan over medium heat and combine with the flour.
- Whisk in the milk and the salt slowly to prevent lumps.
- When the milk is heated stir in the cheeses. Do not allow to boil!
- Heat and stir until thickened. Serve on the chicken.
The apple slaw serves two, each serving contains 163 calories, .5 grams of fat, and 3.8 grams of fibre. The Chicken makes two servings, each serving contains 142 calories, 1.3 grams of fat, and .4 grams of fibre. The cheese sauce serves four (I like to save the extra to have cheese fries when I feel naughty), each serving contains 85 calories, 2.9 grams of fat and .1 grams of fibre. All together, just to make it simple, a serving of shire ration contains 390 calories, 4.7 grams of fat, and 4.3 grams of fibre.
*phew* That is a load of info. Definitely a tasty meal. This was how I celebrated the end of my first challenge. Definitely decadent seeming but not really in the end. The beauty of this success was that each of these recipes can stand alone and be used for other things…bringing them together is what makes a hobbit happy though. I have a feeling I could actually bring it together when camping. I would definitely give it a try, a fun challenge! I have a feeling that chicken over a fire would be to die for.