I have to admit I’ve never had a sloppy joe. I see them around. I giggle when Hermes on futurama laments the loss of his manwich. Never sat down and had one. They look so tasty though. So I took a peek at what goes into them…and saw the fat and calories…and decided I will probably never eat a traditional sloppy joe. I put together these sloppy slims and figured they were mighty tasty to me. Not sure how they compare to the real thing. My husband has had the real thing and he ate seconds so, they can’t be that far off.
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbl ground flax seed (we are sneaking in some omega 3 and fibre num!)
- 1 tbl worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbl hot mustard (I like pc sweet heat)
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 sachet beef oxo
- 1 tbl lemon juice
- 1 tsp chili powder (more if you like a spicier mix)
- Ground pepper to taste
- Heat pan, spray, add onions and garlic. Sautee until softened. About 2 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and ground pepper. Brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir until the mixture is bubbly and thickened.
- Serve on a bun!
This makes four sloppy servings. Each serving contains 281 calories, 10.4 grams of fat and 5.6 grams of fibre. I decided to go with the open face approach on these. Especially since topping them with a bun would just make them all the sloppier to eat. Why would I want to squeeze the tasty filling out. Silly sloppy slims. Thought they could escape.