This weekend is our wedding anniversary (tomorrow to be exact) and apparently it is going to be absolutely gorgeous out all weekend! So, to celebrate not only our anniversary but the last al fresco brunches of the season I decided to make a biscotti to go with our foamy latte. Biscotti just takes a bit of time and care but is totally worth it. A tasty low calorie and low fat treat where the flavour combinations are endless! Make them ahead and you can seem extra fancy during your coffee break with your gaming group. Good times. We all love our fancy treats, even when we game.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbl cocoa, unsweetened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup dried cherries or cherry flavoured cranberries
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Beat the egg, sugar and extracts in a large bowl.
- Add the dry mixture to the egg mixture slowly. You may need to get right in there and knead it to get all the flour in.
- Fold in the dried cherries.
- Form a one inch thick oblong log and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350F. Cool for 10 minutes, slice into 12 pieces.
- Place each slice on the sheet cut side down. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake for another 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
Makes 12 servings. Each serving contains 65 calories, .7 gram of fat, and 1.1 gram of fibre. Don’t worry about them looking small in the picture…I took the picture next to my uber cappucino bowl…the one I like to quote ‘So I married an axe murderer’ with…you know….”Excuse me, miss? There seems to be a mistake. I believe I ordered the *large* cappuccino. Hello! Look at the size of this thing.” . Hehe, I’m Canadian and grew up in Ontario. The Mike Myers love runs strong.