Now, this isn’t those cookies that get used for building or making disturbing human shaped cookies. I mean really…why do we want to eat human shaped cookies…why? We make dog cookies shaped like bones…which they want to eat. Why would we make human shaped cookies…do we want to eat humans? Sure, I decorated my pie with itty bitty hobbits…but I sure didn’t decorate them with icing to give them eyes, clothes, etc…making them even more human like. I love giving places that have gingerbread men cookies the “you are just one step away from cannibalism” look when possible. No, this gingerbread is more along the cake lines, I like to call it old school gingerbread simply because I feel its more bread-like than a crusty old cookie any day. On a side note…gingerbread houses are cool with me…they make for great godzilla like roleplay….which is never ever wrong.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice (the kind that contains ginger and cinnamon)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup applesauce (I highly recommend the hardcore hobbit applesauce)
- 1/2 cup fancy molasses
- Combine the flours, brown sugar, spice, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the egg whites, milk, lemon juice, applesauce, and molasses. Beat with a mixer until combined.
- Pour the batter into a prepared 9×9 square glass dish. Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes. Check with a toothpick, if it comes out clean you are golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes then cut into 9 servings. Best served warm but remains delicious when cold.
Makes 9 servings. Each serving contains 156 calories, 0.3 grams of fat, and 1.4 grams of fibre. So moist and delicious, these did not last long at the Dresden game I brought them to. A great seasonal offering I think. This would look really nice as part of a holiday spread. I think decorating it with a doily placed on top, then sprinkling with sifted icing sugar and removing the doily would be so pretty. Just like a big tasty snowflake on top!