Aack, so I forgot to update on friday again! I was so busy running errands, gazing at my newly acquired blood oranges, shopping for new 10 sided dice, gazing again at the blood oranges, that I completely forgot! Maybe a meatball sub will make it better? Oh I think so. Always a big old mess to eat but such a happy mess really. In this recipe I was going for a quick fix so I used store bought turkey meatballs. If you want to make your own turkey meatballs I would make them the same way I made my thintastic thai meatballs just use turkey meat, and skip the hoisin sauce in the mix. This was such a tasty indulgence…and without consequence. Sweet!
- 2 sub buns
- 16 lean turkey meatballs
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tbl oregano leaves, dried
- 1 tbl italian spice
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (Garlic and I are best buds for evah!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 tbl parmesan cheese
- Saute the onion and garlic in a pan until golden. Add to crockpot.
- Add the meatballs, tomato sauce, oregano leaves, and italian spice to the crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve 8 meatballs on each bun with a bit of sauce, top with 3 tbl of cheese. Enjoy!
Serve 2 hungry hobbits. I did not include the bun in the nutritional value since there is so much variation in what you can choose. I suggest a nice high fibre bun. I’m lucky to have a store local to me that makes a good fibre bun that pretends to be white bread. Tastes just like subway…or maybe even better! Each serving contains 217 calories, 7 grams of fat and 6 grams of fibre. You will have leftover tomato sauce from this. I suggest saving it for a pasta night. Delicious!!! Don’t have a crockpot? No sweat, you can do this stove top same way except you should leave it simmering for 30 minutes.