A creamy and crispy meal. I love falafel. I was introduced to this dish by a friend I had in high school, she was a vegetarian and from an Israeli family. I am so glad she made me try them! I have been in love with them ever since. It’s so hard to find good ones though. I have been to restaurants that just make them so dry! Sometimes not even a mix turns out right. Not to mention the deep frying that happens to these delicious patties. These were my husband’s first taste of falafel and you know what…he liked it!! Total win.
- 1 can (18 ounce) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 egg white
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor. Pulse until the mixture smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into small patties. I used my cute little slider maker to do this. I made 8 patties.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick. Add the patties. Cook for about 3-4 minutes per side, you should be getting a nice golden and crispy colour before you flip.
Serves 2 starving hobbits having a vegetarian night. Each serving (of about four patties) is 349 calories, 3.3 grams of fat, and 12.8 grams of fibre. Served in a pita with either some hummus or tzatziki, hot sauce, lettuce, and onions this meal is to die for. Crispy on the outside and creamy in the middle. LOVE! You could probably break this into a meal for four with a side dish. Between the two of us we were so full after this meal. So totally worth it though. Num.