Holly Hornblower certainly does make one tasty pie. In the game she uses that fabulous pie crust and blueberry pie filling. Blueberry pie filling takes honey and blueberries. Well, I decided to add a bit of naughty to this pie. Blueberries are awesome with a bit of spice so after taking a sniff of the chai tea I was thinking of having with this pie, I added some chai inspired spices right in that filling. The end result is a tasty venture away from the same old blueberry pie…perhaps this is why those Hornblower pies are in such high demand! The unspoiled ones ofcourse. I had a lot of fun making the topper design for this pie too. We figured it takes a village to make a pie this tasty…so we put the village on the pie. Buahaha. More fun than lattice work and my husband came up with scandalous stories for some of the residents of this pie. Tsk, tsk some hobbits.
- 1 Hardcore Hobbit Pie Crust (instead of vanilla extract use lemon extract if you can)
- 2 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen works just fine too)
- 2 tbl honey
- 2 tbl cornstarch
- 1 cardamom pod, ground
- 5 cloves, ground
- Prepare crust, roll out and place in pie pan. Cut off excess. Use the excess to make a cute topper for the pie.
- Combine the blueberries, honey, cornstarch and spices in a pot. Heat on low until the honey melts and coats the blueberries easily. Do not let those blueberries lose their shape!
- Pour the filling into the pie shell. Top with topper of your choice. Bake at 375F for 40-50 minutes.
Isn’t pie just fantastic? Especially a healthy pie like this. This pie serves 8. Each serving contains 147 calories, 3.7 grams of fat, and 1.7 grams of fibre. The filling itself is just 98 calories, no fat, and 1.2 grams of fibre for those who decide to use a different crust.
Oh the humanity! Especially delicious with a low fat whipped cream topping of choice. Sooo good.