So, here we are, all drenched from those april showers. It is still so cold out there! Must comfort our little hobbit selves with a bit of soup I say. In LOTRO chicken carrot soup is made from carrots, green onion, and chicken stock. To do something different with the soup I added some matzo or matza balls to it instead of noodles, rice, etc. All I did was use a mix and drop them in during the last 20 minutes of cooking. So delicious. If you havent’ tried matzo balls before you should really give them atleast one chance. They are delicious and filling! My husband has been asking when I plan to cook with them again. One day I will definitely have to make some of my own, for now I trust the mix. Another fun addition was the use of “carrot noodles” they make it so the carrot flavour is everywhere in the soup but more fun texture wise.
- 3 medium carrots
- 6 cups hardcore hobbit chicken stock
- 150 grams shredded cooked chicken (may already be in your stock)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tbl italian seasoning
- 10 matzo balls (optional)
- Using a peeler shave the carrots into noodles. Cut the length if they are longer than desired.
- Add all the ingredients except the matzo balls to a crockpot. Cook low for 6-8 hours.
- Add matzo balls during the last 20 minutes of cooking.
Makes 5 servings. Nutritional info does not include the matzo balls as they are optional. Each serving contains 66 calories, .6 gram of fat, 4.7 grams carbs, 1.2 grams of fibre, and 10.4 grams of protein. These servings are pretty big too! About 2 cups of broth and carrots. Plenty of room for a couple of matzo balls I say!