I received a mini donut pan this week so I absolutely had to try it out. Healthier baked donuts? Yes please! I’m still tinkering with the spices I had bought from that lovely store. Today, my eye fell on the package of whole mace I had. So pretty and orange. I opened the package and gave it a sniff. YES! I never stopped and realized how delicious mace smells all on its own. I keep using it in blends. This time it needs to shine. Grinding it up made it smell even better! Mmmmm, I must do more with mace in the future.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup splenda or sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground mace (I went with 1 tsp, but that might be too intense for most. I looove spices though)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup egg substitute (like egg beaters)
- 3 tbl melted light cooking margarine
- 1/3 cup mashed banana
- If you are grinding your own mace from whole. This is the texture I brought the mace down to:
- Combine the flours, sugar/splenda, baking powder, baking soda, and mace in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the milk and lemon juice. Stir. Add the banana, melted margarine, and egg substitute.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until well mixed.
- Fill the mini donut pan and bake at 325F for 12-15 minutes. The donuts should spring back when touched.
If you don’t have a donut pan don’t worry! These work out great as cake like cookies or even mini muffins.Makes 43 mini donuts, cookies, or mini muffins. Each (baked with splenda) contains 38 calories, .3 gram of fat, .5 gram of fibre, 8.4 carbs, and 1.6 grams of protein. With sugar they contain 56 calories, .3 gram of fat, .5 gram of fibre, 12 grams of carbs, and 1.6 grams of protein. To die for when they are still warm. Mmmmm. Saving some of these for breakfast with latte before we start running around tomorrow.