This is one of those recipes that isn’t much of a recipe really. More like an example of how to make those naughty things we love a bit healthier. My husband loves philly cheese steaks, especially when they come in pizza form. So with some leftover buns I decided to give making these healthier a go and see if they pass with the cheese steak eater. They did! Here is what I did.
- Thinly sliced eye of round steak, tossed in montreal steak spice
- thinly sliced 4 crimini mushrooms
- thinly sliced 1/2 sweet onion
- thinly sliced 1/2 red pepper
- 4 sliced of reduced fat provolone cheese
- 2 herbed sub buns
- Saute the steak in a hot pan until done. Remove and set aside and keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and cook until the juices come out and the onion caramelize slightly. You can add the red peppers to the cooking mixture if you like. I like mine to have some crunch left in them.
- Layer the steak in the cut buns, top with the mushroom and onion mixture. Layer red peppers on top and then the cheese.
- Arrange the sandwiches on a flat pan and put under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly. Serve!
Makes two subs. There is so much room for variation in this recipe it’s difficult to post nutritionals for it. I will say though that for us it was what I usually spend on dinner. This philly was totally conquered and really easy.