No, we are not engaging in cruel and unusual chicken torture here. I just couldn’t call this bbq since I made it in a crockpot. It really is a bbq pulled chicken sandwich, so very delicious. My aim here was to control more of the sauce. I would usually make the sauce using ketchup but since my beloved ketchup does contain a lot of sugar I had to investigate another way. Happily after much tweaking, I found it! I suggest serving this as an open face sandwich, it is nummy and the bread doesn’t dull the sauce as much that way. I love how using the crockpot means you can have that bbq joint style of taste no matter what the weather is like, and healthy too! This was great at the end of a really busy day too. Stir sauce, add chicken, set crock, run around all day, eat nummy food. Epic win.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, frozen is best if using thawed lower the cooking time
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbl rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried chili flakes
- 2 tbl garlic powder
- 2 tbl worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbl splenda
- 1 tsp smoked sea salt
- 1 tbl sweet with heat mustard
- Combine all the ingredients except the chicken in a small bowl.
- Pour a layer of sauce on the bottom of the crockpot. Add the chicken and then top with the remaining sauce.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Using a pair of forks shred the chicken and stir. Ladle onto bun of choice.
Serves 4. Nutritional info does not include the bun. Each serving contains 183 calories, 2.8 grams of fat, 10.9 grams of carbs, 1.6 grams of fibre, and 27.6 grams of protein. Definitely a tasty plan for busy days. Remember that each serving of this also contains a serving of veggies! Pair this with a salad and you are dealing with a beautifully balanced meal for so little effort.