“Choice cuts of beef, dried and salted.” Beef jerky time!! I love making beef jerky. I have a dehydrator that is probably older than I am but boy to I love that thing. I love making up a batch of jerky this time of year in preparation for any camping trips that may come up. It’s a camping staple! Beef jerky from the store is always so bland and expensive. Making your own is the best way to go, especially when the beef sales start. I got my flank steak 20% off! In LOTRO salted beef delights are made with a bag of salt, green onion, and flank of beef. I used soy sauce instead of a bag of salt…it contains a bag of salt already hehehe. For a lower salt version it’s easy to just replace with low sodium soy sauce and still get tasty flavour.
- atleast 1 pound of flank steak
- 2/3 cup worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbl honey
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 green onion, sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or more if you want more kick)
- Trim the flank steak of as much fat as possible. Slice into thin strips and place in a large freezer bag.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pour into the freezer bag. Turn the bag a few times to make sure the meat is coated. Squeeze out the air and seal. Keep in fridge to marinate 24 hours.
- Layer the meat in your dehydrator and follow it’s instructions. If you do not have a dehydrator you can do it using the oven method. Set the oven to 160F, place the beef on a broiling pan in a single layer. Pop into the oven with the door cracked open slightly for 8 hours.
Makes about 10 servings. Each serving contains 79 calories, 3.4 grams of fat, 2.2 grams of carbs, no fibre (big surprise there right? hehe), 9.3 grams of protein. Enjoy and have some safe camping trips all you hobbits out there!