Now, the description in game for these does not sound like a very fun dish at all. They keep you alive and complaining about the bad food for days. Well this will not do for hobbitses such as ourselves. The ingredients for this dish are flour, salt and water, to make it epic we add chives. Well, let’s upgrade those chives to green onions! So here I’ve made an easily transportable and tasty green onion pancake style hard tack ration. I love how the green onion gives them a subtle sweetness too. Suitable for keeping soldiers alive and happy with their food for days.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbl canola oil
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- butter flavoured cooking spray
- Combine the salt and flours in a bowl. Add the boiling water and oil, stir until a dough forms. If it is a bit too sticky add more Whole Wheat flour. Knead the dough for five minutes.
- Roll the dough into a long snake and cut into twelve pieces.
- Roll the pieces into flat rounds, spray the top and sprinkle with a bit of green onion.
- Roll it up like a jelly roll.
- Press the roll down a bit on the seam and then coil it into a snail shape. Allow them to rest for 30 minutes.
- Flatten each of your “snails”, roll them into a pancake shape. You can allow these to sit until ready for cooking if you are premaking or cook right now.
- Preheat pan to medium and spray. Heat the pancake on one side until golden, flip and press down a bit. When golden on both sides they are ready to serve! Great hot or cold.
Makes 12 hard tack rations. Each ration contains 72 calories, 1.4 grams of fat, 13.7 grams of carb, 1.3 grams of fibre, and 2.2 grams of protein. These are great served with a bit of that asian hot sauce with the rooster on it. Num!