Making your own tzatziki is really fun and I love the ability to customize according to taste…which storebought just doesn’t do. I’ve mentioned my love affair with garlic, well I like my tzatziki to reflect that. Perhaps you like a fresher more lemony taste to yours? Or perhaps a different texture? Go nuts there are so many ways to enjoy tzatziki! My favourite? On a ham sandwich instead of mayo. Num! With all the Mediterranean dips I’ve been working on my summer evening Mediterranean al fresco dinning experience is getting closer and closer! I can’t wait!
- 1 cup no fat greek style yogurt or non fat yogurt strained in cheesecloth overnight
- 1 small cucumber peeled, seeded, finely grated, and squeezed dry.
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (less if you are not as in love)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh dill (optional)
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and allow to sit for atleast 2 hours. Overnight is best!
Serves four generously (about 1/4 cup). Each serving contains 45 calories, .2 gram of fat, 7.3 grams of carbs, 3.9 grams of protein, and .4 gram of fibre. Great on falafel!