No hardcore hobbit today, but really, what hobbit would say no to pie? We had this tasty pie this weekend and I just had to share. For years I have been buying all sorts of coconut cream pies for my husband. It’s his favourite but I’ve never tried to make one because I just didn’t trust myself to get it right. Each store bought pie I got for him was a store bought disappointment. We just weren’t achieving an acceptable level of coconut flavour. So, it’s time I gave it a go. To us the best kind of coconut is toasted coconut. If making it on our own is the only way we can make this happen, then we are going to bring it! I did…and epic coconut flavour was achieved.
- 10 reduced fat oreo cookies, crushed (creamy center and all)
- 1/2 unpacked brown sugar
- 1/4 cup splenda
- 2 egg whites
- 370 ml can evaporated skim milk
- 1 tbl cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1/4 cup toasted coconut
- Press the crushed oreos into a pie pan to from your crust.
- Mix together the cornstarch, splenda and brown sugar in a pot. Slowly add the egg whites, vanilla extract, coconut extract and milk while whisking to keep smooth.
- Heat the mixture on medium heat, whisking frequently, until it thickens.
- Stir in the toasted coconut, reserving some of it to sprinkle on top of the pie.
- Pour carefully over the crust. Top with remaining coconut and allow to cool.
- Best if left in the fridge overnight.
Serves 8. Each serving contains 147 calories, 2.5 grams fat, 30.4 grams carbs, .5 gram fibre, and 5.8 grams protein. I have figured out where they were hiding all the coconut flavour in all those store bought pies….it was in my cupboard all this time.