Making your own tzatziki is really fun and I love the ability to customize according to taste…which storebought just doesn’t do. I’ve mentioned my love affair with garlic, well I like my tzatziki to reflect that. Perhaps you like a fresher more lemony taste to yours? Or perhaps a different texture? Go nuts there are so many ways to enjoy tzatziki! My favourite? On a ham sandwich instead of mayo. Num! With all the Mediterranean dips I’ve been working on my summer evening Mediterranean al fresco dinning experience is getting closer and closer! I can’t wait!
- 1 cup no fat greek style yogurt or non fat yogurt strained in cheesecloth overnight
- 1 small cucumber peeled, seeded, finely grated, and squeezed dry.
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (less if you are not as in love)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh dill (optional)
- Combine the ingredients in a small bowl and allow to sit for atleast 2 hours. Overnight is best!
Serves four generously (about 1/4 cup). Each serving contains 45 calories, .2 gram of fat, 7.3 grams of carbs, 3.9 grams of protein, and .4 gram of fibre. Great on falafel!
Eeek! I forgot to update yesterday. I was so busy taking care of my husband after his wisdom tooth extraction I completely forgot! So many things pureed in a day. This tasty appetizer was inspired by an idea in the PC insider’s report this year. They suggested building your canapes on cucumbers instead of crackers. Brilliant! So very tasty too. I found them refreshing really, so I decided to revisit my favourite canape. This particular picture was taken by my husband.
- 1 english cucumber, peeled and sliced into 40
- 114 grams light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped baby dill
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 100 grams smoked salmon
- 80 capers
- cracked pepper to taste
- Combine the cream cheese, dill, lemon juice, and garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Spread a layer of the cream cheese on the cucumber slice, top with a piece of smoked salmon and two capers. Repeat for all of the cucumber slices, crack pepper over the canapes to finish.
So simple and tasty yet so fancy too. Makes 40 canape. Each canape is 11 calories, .6 grams of fat and .1 gram of fibre. Which I think is really awesome for a party food!