Sometimes, I have mere minutes to get a meal done and have it be healthy lately. Our gaming, work, house hunting, and work out schedules are getting crazy! This is a side dish that I love and I especially love how easy it is. If you can boil water you are 50 percent there. It’s inspired from a dish I had in this absolutely delicious Moroccan place I ran across. By no means is it authentic but I can’t resist how easy it is. I do all sorts of variations on this and it really is a meal saver.
- 1/2 cup dry couscous (multigrain is even better if you can get it)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 sachet of reduced salt chicken oxo
- 1/4 cup raisins
- ground pepper to taste
- Combine the ingredients in a 2 cup measuring cup.
- Boil the water and add to the measuring cup mixture until you reach the 1 1/2 cup mark. Allow to sit for atleast 5 minutes. Fluff and serve!
See? Just two steps. Easy and delicious! I love serving this with a nice chicken breast with middle east spices and salad. This serves two generously. Each serving contains 213 calories, .8 gram of fat, 47.9 grams of carbs, 2.2 grams of fibre, and 6.1 grams of protein. Takes about 10 minutes, how can you lose?
This is a quick lunch I whipped up the other day. I really wanted something with mangoes in it but needed it to be quick and easy because I had other things to get to. I think this would pack really well for a boxed lunch at work or school as well. So easy to just have ready and tasty too! Very filling, hurray for couscous!
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 pkg chicken oxo
- 1 mango, peeled and cubed
- juice of 2 lime wedges
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Combine the chicken oxo and couscous in a heat proof measuring cup. Add 3/4 cup boiling water and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit atleast 5 minutes.
- Combine the mango, green onion, lime juice, and soy sauce in a large bowl. Once the couscous is done sitting, add the couscous to the mango mixture. Mix thoroughly, serve!
This makes two lovely lunch servings. Each serving contains 182 calories, .5 grams of fat, and 3.6 grams of fibre. If you skip the chicken oxo ingredient this is a tasty vegetarian dish as well! A variation of this with strawberries instead of mangoes is sooo delicious. This can also be a great side dish for a tropical themed dinner.