I am back and as requested I have made a recipe featuring root vegetables. I absolutely had to make a pie, what is hobbit life without pie? This pot pie doesn’t have much of a topper but as we have found in the past a topper is not needed to make a delicious pie. I had a lot of fun wandering around the produce section picking out root veggies to put in this. I have found that this recipe can work with whatever veggies appeal to you most. In the game this pot pie is made with rye flour, leeks, turnips, carrots, butter, and milk. I skipped the milk but it’s still creamy! There was a part of me that wanted to save posting this for Pi day, being a root pie and all.
Herb Savoury Crust
- 125g flour
- 100g rye flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbl poultry seasoning
- 1 tbl dry mustard powder
- 1/4 cup rice bran oil
- 4 tbl cold water
- 1 tbl butter
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- Add seasonings to the flour mixture and stir.
- Combine the water and oil in a measuring cup. Beat with a fork until emulsified.
- Drizzle over the flour mixture and add the butter. Combine until you get a good dough, do not overwork though. You may need to add water if this is too dry.
- Roll out and place in pie dish.
- 1 Purple Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed (which is not purple inside as I had hoped, boo)
- 2 Parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 Carrot, peeled and cubed
- 1 Celery Root, peeled and cubed
- 1 Leek, thoroughly rinsed, sliced white part only
- 1 Garlic clove
- 2 tbl Rice Bran Oil
- 1 Rosemary sprig, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tbl flour
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pot, add garlic, stir and quickly add veggies and seasonings. Stir again and add wine. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Combine water and flour in a separate bowl until smooth. Add to vegetable mixture and stir. Cover again and cook for 20 minutes.
- Pour veggies into the prepared crust. Top with leftover dough cut into nice shapes.
Pie (the easy part)
- Egg white (optional)
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Assemble pie, brush topper pieces with egg white (optional)
- Bake pie for 30 minutes.
- Allow to rest 5 minutes, cut and enjoy!
Makes 8 servings. Each serving contains 226 calories, 9.4 grams fat, 30.5 grams carbs, 4.9 grams fibre, 4.7 grams protein. So filling, so creamy, so warming! I think this might be my go to savoury pie crust this season. It’s flaky and sturdy. Even stays together when you reheat leftover pie in the microwave. Yes, the hearts are there because February is heart health month and they are tasty! This crust puffs them up a bit like a biscuit. Nummy!