It’s been awhile since I tackled a hardcore hobbit project, last night I delved into one. The masterful mash mentioned in the game takes a tater, a wheel of sharp cheese, and seasonings. Well, in the efforts of being healthy I didn’t go with a whole wheel of cheese but enough to get the taste of it. This is a delicious side dish or an ingredient for a decadent cottage or shepherds pie.
- 4 potatoes, washed and cubed. Peel if you like. I leave the skins on because I like potato skins.
- 3 tbl shaved parmesan. Not the powder stuff folks like to call parmesan.
- 4 tbl fat free sour cream
- 1 tbl chives
- Pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and boil for 20 minutes. Check to make sure they are fork tender. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash. Serve.
This makes enough for 4 servings. Each serving contains 151 calories, 1.2 grams of fat and 3.8 grams of fiber. A nice filling side dish with much more flavour than boring old mashed potato. It gets a nice consistency by just using the ingredients that flavour it, no extra cream, butter or milk required. We have been known to indulge a little and split this in two instead of the four servings. It’s just that tasty and good for you. A tasty variation we enjoy is to substitute the pepper and chives for a tablespoon of montreal steak spice. So very good!