I thought long and hard about this one. After all, the game makes this one just a little too easy. A ball of dough and some blackberry jam. I need a challenge! So, I made a bread specifically to match with the jam. As it says hobbits LOVE nothing better than bread and jam. I have to make it the best I can! Afterall, what says “I’m serious about bread and jam.” more than making your own bread to showcase your homemade jam? A flavour that I love to pair with blackberries is lime. I know, you would think it’s all tart enough but, I love a lot of zing in my tasty treats sometimes. Especially for something that is so perfect to serve at tea time. I could see this doing just as well with orange instead of lime though if you are looking for a milder flavour. Want to see what I did? Behold, the yogurt lime bun with blackberry jam.
- 1 1/2 cup of flour, divided (1 cup and 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup probiotic fat free plain balkan style yogurt (I’m sure greek would work fine too)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- juice of two lime wedges
- Hardcore Hobbit blackberry jam
- Combine 1 cup of flour and the yogurt in a bowl. Sprinkle with sugar. Loosely cover with a damp towel and set aside in a warm place for 3 hours to proof.
- Add the remaining flour, baking soda, baking powder and lime juice.
- Lightly roll out the dough on a floured surface. Don’t push out all that air we proofed for!
- Using a cookie cutter or biscuit cutter, cut out 16 shapes and place on a sprayed baking sheet.
- Bake at 425F for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, serve warm with a 1/2 tsp of blackberry jam.
Makes 16 buns or biscuits. Each one contains 51 calories, 0.1 gram fat, 9.6. grams carbs, 0.3 gram fibre, 2.7 grams protein. Add the nutritional values for your jam and you have one pretty guilt free tasty tea time treat. Wow, a quadruple T. Win.